Popular posts from this blog
India: The land of lakhpatis
When I was a kid, for me the definition of Lakhpati was - "A person who owns more than one lakh rupees is a Lakhpati" . And yes at that time this definition used to hold true almost. A Lakhpati would be very rich, would have all which we used to call luxuries. You could find only a single lakhpati in a typical gali or mohalla. But as time passed, those luxuries have got changed into necessities and social label of a lakhpati have changed from Rich to Middle class. A lakhpati doesn't catch the eyes of people now as he used to. Its true that value of a lakh rupees have got diminished a lot. But for the diminished value of Lakhpati , its not that the rate of inflation is responsible. Its because of the fact that now lakhpati in the Indian gali/mohalla is not the only lakhpati in that gali/mohalla . The whole Indian middle class has taken a big step upward, changing the definitions of rich/poor/middle class. Welcome to India: The land of lakhpatis :-) Current So...
Indians: Where do we stand ?
From the early days, when I was in school, I used to form an analogy between our Indian mythological stories and my science book, carrying in my mind what western countries are inventing/discovering today, we had invented/discovered thousands of years back. But where all that have gone? We do not see anything from that today. Everything has remained in the stories. It had given me a sense of disappointment when I did not find any Indian name (except in Raman’s Effect) in my science text books. We give excuses that we did not have resources. But tell me did Marie curie and Marconi had any resources that we could not have here at that time. We people had really missed the opportunities. We should stop boasting about our glorious past and should work for the future. During my Engineering course when I was preparing for a seminar on Quantum Computers I came across the fact that even the countries like Israel are very much ahead of us in this field and we are doing nothing....

Comments